I decided to post some tutorials about Cypher, the new Neo4j query language. This is an index page for those posts, so that people might find what will be useful for them.
- Cypher basics: it all starts with the START
- Cypher 2.0: it doesn’t all start with the START
- Cypher basics: Matching Traversal Patterns with MATCH
- The Mythical WITH
- Cypher 2.0: OPTIONAL MATCH
Other Cypher resources
- The Official Neo Cypher Cheat Sheet
- The Official Neo Cypher docs page
- Max De Marzi’s blog tends to focus on real use case examples, and he uses a lot of Cypher.
- Aldrin and Luanne’s blog includes an excellent post about Cypher optimization, as well as other posts about Cypher.
- Mark Needham’s blog has many practical Cypher examples using his football (soccer) data.
- Nicole White’s blog has become full of Cypher recently.
I always loved Oracle’s AskTom, and I’ve enjoyed learning via answering Cypher questions for a good while now–so I’ll copy the Oracle idea and call myself a Cypher expert. :P Here are some select questions I’ve answered.
- How to get the longest path from a variable length path pattern query, with a few extra requirements thrown in
- How to get the MRCA (Most Recent Common Ancestor) from a tree structure in Cypher
- How to find the sum/avg/etc. [of any numeric property] over a path in Cypher
- How to find the sum of leaf nodes in a sub tree in Cypher
- Relationship strength decay in Cypher
Please leave feedback below if you want me to go deeper into a particular topic, or have questions.